Viramune/Trizivir - Fatigue?

I was recently diagnosed in January 2003, and immediately began on a regimen of Trizivir and Sustiva. The Sustiva left me restless and mildly psychotic, so I asked my doctor to switch me to Viramune. Things are much improved - my viral load is now undetectable and I can sleep though the night. However, my sleep is still shallow - 7 hrs is rarely enough, and I find myself compelled to nap, waking up groggy and crabbier than when I went to sleep. I have even begun to work out again, which usually gives me extra energy and motivation, as well as a great night's sleep. But things just aren't the same. Is this the Viramue? The HIV? The Trizivir? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Boyle

Tough to say since sleep disturbances are generally not associated with any of those medications and, other than the fatigue, you don't give any other symptoms that might suggest other possiblities. It is possible that the AZT component of Trizivir is causing some problems with fatigue, which is relatively common, however, you're history suggests something else is also involved. You should disecuss this with your doctor and consider further evaluation, including sleep studies, to try to get to the bottom of this.

Taking AZT out of combo
very worried about a friend off of meds