MY SKIN IS TELLING ON ME!

I am a 36 year old, black female.Diagnosed HIV+ last year. Keep getting these nasty, wing-worm type rashes on my right, upper arm and on the middle of my back. Also,the skin on my face is becoming an ash-gray color with scaly, dry patches and mild rash. Been on Crixivan and Combivir for about a year. It is itchy, annoying and ugly. Any suggestions? Special soap or ointments available?

I assume that you have discussed this with your HIV doc and possibly seen a dermatologist so that infections or other conditions have been checked for. Fungal infections sometimes respond better to oral medications than topical treatment. My black patients sometimes have more skin problems with the AZT part of the Combivir. Crixivan causes the skin to dry out and crack in some patients. If your skin condition is not thought to be due to an infection or other diagnosable/treatable condition then you might discuss a switch in your HIV meds with your HIV doc. KH

shingles
Antioxidants and oxidative stress.