facial wasting

Hello, I have just been diagnosed with HIV, My CD4 count is 125 and my viral load is 232,000. My doctor wants to start me on Combivir 2x a day and Sustiva 1x a day. Will I be subject to facial wasting while I am on these meds?? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Conway

Based on your CD4 count, it is certainly a good idea for you to start HAART (along with prophylaxis for PCP). Combivir/Sustiva is an excellent combination, and one that is easy to take (three pills/day). With respect to facial wasting there are, unfortunately, no guarantees. That being said, this is a very "low risk" regimen. The key will be for you to watch yourself very carefully and report any changes (if any) you see to your doctor, to discuss options for a change in therapy, or some other intervention. With some of these side effects related to changes in the appearance of your body, the earlier you do something about them, the better.

Good Luck!!!

Severe skin rash (Kaletra&Combivir)
silicone injections