CURLY HAIR

Doc, i was diagnozed with hiv in 1999 and was on crix, epivir and retrovir, till 2001. Before the treatment, my hair, being african, was black and stiff, but during the course of the treatment, i started realising that my hair texture is changing. the time i was found with hiv, i.e. 1999, my cd4 was 20 but i have pulled up such that for the past two years till now, i fluctuate between 400-600. i dont have any sign of being sick, am strong young man, but my only problem is this curly (pale) hair which makes everybody suspicious when they look at me despite my strong well built body. is this sign of AIDS? or is it drug side effect? and how can i regain my old hair texture? am currently off the PIs since i developed resistant to them, so am on sustiva and epivir plus videx. pliz help me i feel embarassed when many people look at me.

Response from Dr. Boyle

Hair changes can occur in patients with advanced HIV, including some like you are describing. Also, Crixivan has been associated with skin/hair changes. It is possible, however, that something else is going on, and if the problem is not improving now that you are off Crixivan, consider seeing a dermatologist.

Sneeze Odor
Drug interactions; Efavirenz and rifampicin