High Levels Of Testosterone

I hope you can help me with the following & that it's in the right forum.

I've been taking Sustiva & Combivir for about 19 months. I've also been taking Famciclovir for at least a year and Tamoxifen for just over 2 months.

I've had my Testosterone tested twice recently and on both occasions it has been high. I am also a bit anaemic and have been getting bad fatigue.

The last lab result for the Testosterone was 42.5 nmol/L and the previous one was 37.6 nmol/L.

The range quoted to me was from 8.4 - 28.7 nmol/L.

Do you have any ideas as to why it is so high and should I be concerned?

Thanks in anticipation,

Tim

Response from Dr. Conway

Tamoxifen is being used increasingly for the treatment of male breast enlargement in people on HAART. I will make the assumption that this is why you are taking it, as it appears that you began this therapy about 18 months after being started on Sustiva & Combivir. I will also make the assumption that you are not receiving injections of testosterone.

Tamoxifen is an anti-estrogen that affects the metabolism of all other sex hormones in the body, including testosterone. Alhtough it is more often associated with low testosterone levels, it may also cause them to rise, especially if it is being taken intermiitently. The fact that your testosterone levels are being influenced by the tamoxifen would be made more likely if you could establish that they were lower before the tamoxifen was started.

This is clearly an issue to discuss with your doctor.

Alopecia Areata
TRIZIVIR + SUSTIVA