Nails and skin

Hello, and thanks for your help - this site has been a great support to me. Diagnosed in Nov'02, I have been on Sustiva/Combivir since Feb, and last count was CD4 568, VL 150. No current side effects other than splitting/cracking nails and dry patches of skin. I eat a good, balanced diet. Are these just symptoms of being on these meds or should I try any supplements? Thanks.

That is tough to sort out. The complaint of xerodermia is common in the general population. It is perhaps even more common in HIV+ persons including in the days before treatment was available. Add the fact that some drugs seemed to aggravate the problem (such as indinavir)and that there is much variation from person to person and soon you have a complicated picture that is often tough to diagnose and treat effectively. AZT can cause problems with nails and Sustiva can cause rashes. In tough cases I enlist the aid of an HIV experience dermatologist to help me out. KH

T20 Soreness Relief
Starting symptoms of neuropathy?