Med dilemma for long term non-progressor

I was infected 15 to 20 years ago and have always had CD4's above 1000 with no detectable viral load- except one small blip in '96 of 1900. This was the hit early hit hard era, so I began meds in '97 to keep my immune system healthy, rather than waiting to try and bring it back when and if it crashed. I am still on the same meds six years later: Viracept, D4T, DDI. No detectable viral load <50 copies, CD4's 1200-1500. I also take Avapro, Lipitor, Androgel, Fluoxitine- what I call my side-effect drugs. But I really don't have any debilitating side-effects that aren't under control. My doctor thinks I should still stay on meds since I can tolerate them and do not appear to have resistance. I always wonder what would happen if I wasn't taking them- if I still would be a long term non-progressor. I still think keeping the immune system healthy is the best approach, but I know I wouldn't be started on meds today with the lab results I have. I am very blessed to be in this dilemma, but what is your opinion? Thanks for your input!

You seem to have suffered from side effects of the meds (and are at relatively high risk for more side effects with that regimen) probably without any clinical benefit since you were not at risk to get sick (with your high CD4 and low RNA levels). You would be a good candidate for a treatment interruption study (the ACTG is doing one as well as other groups). If you stay on meds I would suggest considering switching around to perhaps simpler and less toxic regimens. KH

Keletra and Ambien
Irritable bowel syndrome?