Taking AZT out of combo

I am on Trizivir and Sustiva. I am noticing facial wasting also my hemoglogin is low and I feel tired most of the time. I have cd4 260 (which has been increasing) and undectable viral load. would it be possible to take azt out and just stay on abc,3tc and sustiva or may that be a too weak of a combo. Viread is not avaiable where I am yet.

Response from Dr. Boyle

The problems you are experiencing are ones that a lot of patients have on chronic zidovudine (AZT) and I certainly understand how you feel. About discontinuing the AZT, it depends a lot on what you have previously been on and what resistance your HIV may have developed, but it is quite clear based on research (especially a recent study called the CLASS study) that in antiretroviral-naive patients abacavir (ABC), lamivudine (3TC) and Sustiva (efavirenz) is a very potent and effective regimen. So, if this was your first regimen and you have always been <50, I would say definitely. If you have been on prior regimens or if your viral loads have not always been <50, it is a tougher issue. You should discuss this with your doctor and arrive at a decision based on your particular situation.

popping veins
persistant rash that seems to be Fungal