Adding new Meds to current regimen

I have been taking Trizavir for over a year with excellent results.I also take Diovan 160mg & Lexapro 20 mg. Recently I switched a new I.D. doctor. He recommended adding Viracept 1250mg. Citing a recent study saying that patients taking Trizivir only, become resistant sooner. My viralload is holding under 100 & cd4 is 590. Are there any risks to adding Viracept? If so what are they? Could I wait until resistance becomes evident? I prefer qualilty of life over quantity. What is your opinion?

The study he is referring to probably is ACTG 5095 which does not exactly apply to your situation. It is not year clear what the failure rate if persons doing well on Trizivir alone after achieving high level suppression. If the viral load is undetectable I am still OK to continue with just the Trizivir for simplicity and to save other drugs for later (and usually well tolerated). If the viral load bumps up then adding another NRTI (such as tenofovir), an NNRTI, or a PI (many choices including the soon to be approved atazanavir) such as nelfinavir are all reasonable choices depending on details of the situation and personal preferences. KH

life is for the living.
Sustiva and SSRIs