Change on Regimen

Dear Doctor

I have been diagnosed HIV positive since Jan 1997 and started with drugs of AZT and DDI. Prior to taking drugs, VL and CD4 were 28000 and 294, respectively.

Due to drugs resistance, my drugs regimen were changed to AZT, 3TC, and Stocrin around Sep 1998.

For your information, my doctor repalced D4T with AZT for above mentioned regimen because of skinny face and lipodystrophy.

The latest Lab test of VL and CD4 on 23 Feb 2003 were 282 and 497. Before these, they were <50 and 460, respectively.

I will check VL and CD4 on 20 JUn 2003.

In case of drugs resistance, in your opinion, what drugs shall be recommended.

I don't like to take Protease Inhibitor in order to prevent Coronary Heart Disease. If I can choose.

Thanking you in advance

Bye

Upto now, I am still on AZT, 3TC, and Stocrin.

The link between protease inhibitor and heart disease is unclear. Atazanavir will soon be available which is a two pill once a day protease inhibitor with little impact on lipid levels. That might be a good option to add to your regimen. You likely have some modest degree of NRTI resistance with at least the M184V mutation (3TC). Adding tenofovir and/or abacavir is a good option depending on other details of your situation. If you added those drugs your regimen would be Trizivir (AZT + 3TC + abacavir) + Stocrine + Viread= 4 pills total and would still save PIs for later use. KH

Sun sensitivity and multiple skin problems
life is for the living.