Sun sensitivity and multiple skin problems

I have been taking Crixivan, Epivir, Zerit, and Famvir for over a year. Since then I have had various skin problems and now apply creams for rosacea symptoms on my face, discoloration on the back of my neck, and persistently itchy hips. My lips are also chapped and scaly every day, and even small amounts of sun exposure cause me to feel bad for a day or so (itchy eyes, fatigue, sore throat). My dermatologist says these probably aren't related to my HIV, but I wonder if they could all be side effects of the medication. I used to be so active and healthy, and my constantly increasing laundry-list of "incurable" ailments is driving me crazy.

Response from Dr. Boyle

Skin problems, referred to by some as "ectodermal dysplasia", may occur with some HIV medications, including Crixivan (indinavir). These problems can include some of the ones you are describing and you should discuss the timing(e.g., did they start after you started the Crixivan) and nature of your problems with your doctor to see if this is a possibility. To read more about this you can review articles on this and other websites.

Black spots on arm
Change on Regimen