Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Black spots on arm
May 28, 2003

I have gotten a rash about three weeks ago and thought nothing of it. Now the spots are dark and sore to the touch. I have tried to put A+D ointment on it and it helps and soothes it, but for some reason it wont go away. Now I have just one on my other forearms by my elbow. Which is where they are on both arms, 5 on one and one on the other. I have not gone to the dermatologist yet due to that cost, no insurance. I thought maybe it could be cancerous??? Not sure.

Response from Dr. Boyle

The information you provide isn't enough to make a definitive diagnosis, especially since you don't mention whether you are HIV-infected or, if you are, what your current CD4 count is but, but, as you describe it, it is unlikely to be skin cancer. What you are describing may be consistent with Kaposi's Sarcoma, but that usually does not suddently pop up in multiple spots but instead is slowly progressive. Still, you should go to a doctor and have it evaluated since your home remedies don't seem to be getting rid of it.

Previous
impaired trolerance
Next
Sun sensitivity and multiple skin problems

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.