Combivir/Sustiva sun sensitivity

Hi there,

My partner and I both recently tested positive (him = VL150,000; CD4 600, me = VL15,000, CD4 750). Our doctor has prescribed Combivir and Sustiva for initial treatment. He started about a month ago, and his VL has already dropped to 800. I haven't started the regimen yet, due to my being tested after him and because our doctor initially wanted to start me with Trizivir, but changed to the Sustiva/Combivir combo (due to a study he read that worried him...).

My partner was out in the sun this weekend, became slightly sunburned, then developed a really dramatic-looking hivey rash in the area where he was exposed to the sun. Is photosensitivity common with these two medications? He's never had something like this happen before. I should also mention that he developed a much milder rash that had almost disappeared prior to the sun exposure.

I'm asking this question because I have psoriasis, which has become a little worse recently (maybe due to exposure to HIV). Although I realize sun exposure is dangerous, I take the risk because it makes my psoriasis almost completely disappear. Do you think I'm now in a damned if I do/damned if I don't skin situation? My psoriasis isn't too severe, but it's enough to get me out into the sun to get rid of it.

Also - is there a chance that the HAART regimen would help clear out the psoriasis?

Any comments/info you have would be much, much appreciated.

Thanks Jay

I usually don't recommened HIV therapy in situations where the person has no symptoms with a CD4 count >> 350 cells/mm3. Most patients do not develop sun hypersensitivity on Combivir + Sustiva but there appears to be a small % that do --unpredictable in most cases. The initial rash your partner had may have been due to the Sustiva which may have sensitized the skin to another insult-in that case UV light. Persons with psoriasis sometimes do better with HIV treatment though that rarely would be a reason to start treatment by itself. KH

Itching, Spots, Rashed
aids, psoriasis and enbrel