Switching Meds

I have been diagnosed hiv+ exactly 3 years this month(May)and will be relocating to Atlanta. Before starting meds my vl was 28000 and cd4 was 459. I enrolled in a study for Tenofovir and the study provides free meds. My regimen has been Zerit,Epivir,Sustiva, and Tonofovir. Now my vl is undetectable and cd4 is well above 700 with a percentage level of about 29. I'm very pleased with the results and I am very healthy with the exception of the dizziness assoicated with Sustiva for which Ginko Biloba taken along with Sustiva completely counteracts those dreamy side effects. My question is now that its been 3 years, I've noticed that my face has wasted slightly and I have lost about 10 pounds over the 3 years without working out or anything. I've read that Zerit causes wasting and now that I'm relocating,and my numbers are good, should I switch from Sustiva to Viramune and should I substitute Zerit with something else since the long terms effects of Zerit is wasting. Am I being paranoid or should I just stick with my current meds since my lab numbers are good. Thank you very much.

I usually don't start patients on treatment if their CD4 count is >> 350 at the lowest. The SMART study (sites are in Atlanta) looks at whether you should continue your HIV meds or stop until the CD4 count falls to 250. There is also an ACTG study looking at the safety of stopping treatment in situations like yours (? Emory and Birmingham,Al as sites for that study).

Swiching D4t to AZT or abacavir may slow down/? slowly reverse the fat loss in some patients. Switching Sustiva to Viramune has uncertain effects on fat distribution/lipids (has not been well studied). I would suggest trying to do something to minimize further fat loss. KH

Drugs Changed
Itching, Spots, Rashed