Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

heart disease runs in my family
May 7, 2003

My ex was just diagnosed with HIV+ after being hospitalized for PCP. I am pretty sure that since we have been together for many years that I have HIV too. Heart disease runs in my family on my mothers side, so does this mean that if I have HIV that I will have a greater chance that I will die of a heart attack or heart disease?

Response from Dr. Henry

If you are HIV+ you are at risk for AIDS related problems. If your HIV care is good and you live to middle old age then heart disease and cancer are the major health risks. There is controversy (not settled) about whether HIV or its treatment increases the risk for heart disease. Any discussion on that subject would emphasize that the benefits of therapy hugely outweigh any concern about side effects. KH

Previous
ANDROGEL
Next
RE: Long-term diarrhea...weaning off Nelfinavir

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.