Delayed side effects?

Dear Dr Boyle and Dr Henry, I am a 45-year-old HIV positive man. I started HAART on combivir and Efavirenz last October when I found out my HIV status (60,000 viral load, 200CD4 count at the time). The drugs seem to work for me (undetectable viral load 2 weeks after starting treatment and 435 CD4 at the moment). For the first few months I had some uncomfortable side effects (metallic taste, weakness, bloating feeling, feeling very wired up after taking the Efavirenz). Thankfully though, these eventually went away. I have always been in good health, I do a lot of exercise, I am not overweight and do not take any other drugs or drink alcohol. For the last 6 days I have been having some diarrhoea and got prescribed some antibiotics. My doctor thinks this is probably some bacteria infection. However I worry this might be a side effect of my HAART. Is it possible to develop side effects on these drugs months after taking them without any? I read on the papers a few days ago that an HIV campaigner died after stopping taking his treatment because "the side effects became more unbearable than the illness itself". It made me worry that horrible side effects might come in a few months or years from starting treatment. What is your advice? Many thanks!

From the details you provided I think your GI complaints are not related to your HIV meds. There is no doubt that patients are benefiting immensely from HIV treatment. My usual AIDS patients in the old days suffered from an average of 4.5 AIDS defining event before succumbing to their illness. It was terrible. We have substituted long term survival with some side effects for that which a huge improvement. We can do better with even simpler and safer medications in the years to come. Your CD4 count at 200 and good response to treatment would cause me to recommend staying on HIV treatment. Should your GI symptoms persist (I don't expect that to happen) then looking for other causes and then switching your HIV meds around would be the next steps I would take. KH

Long-term diarrhea...weaning off Nelfinavir
HGH Side Effects