For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

side effects from sustiva

I have been taking Sustiva for a couple of years now and have recently noticed the side effects others have written about such as diziness, groggy in the morning, confused, and just an overall terrible feeling the next morning. The side effects were so bad that I stopped taking it for a day and I felt 100 better in the morning. Now I am in the process of switching to Nevipramine. I am taking both for 14 days. My whole dose of Sustiva and 1/2 dose of Nevipramine. Is this normal?

Why is it the medical establishment classifies all of these side effects under the umbrella of "nervous system" effects. Feeling groggy, cloudy, hung-over and in a daze is hardly nervous system.

Should nevipramine be just as effective as Sustiva?

For persons with no resistance to the NNRTI class of meds, nevirapine is likely similar in activity to Sustiva (many experts would say that Sustiva is marginally more potent). Nevirapine is usually dosed at at the single dose for two weeks then switched to twice a day dosing. During the time when the nevirapine is dosed once a day it is not unreasonable to overlap the two drugs. The central nervous system effects of Sustiva related to its brain effects--the brain is considered a part of the nervous system so that is why that term is used. KH

Overly aggressive meds regiment?
bad reaction to P I's