taking a break from meds

My T-cells count is over 900. My viral load is undetectable. I'm been on crixivan, viramune and zerit for five years. what would happen if I took a 3 month break from medication? i basically have no side effects.

That depends partly on how low your CD4 count was and how high your HIV Level was when you started therapy. When therapy is stopped the trend is usually that the blood tests revert back to the pre-treatment levels are varying rates. The ACTG us doing a study (A 5170) looking at that for those who never had a CD4 count < 350. If a person was sick with AIDS prior to starting therapy I am more reluctant to stop meds. If you never failed any medications then an alternative strategy is to substitute easier/simpler medications for the ones you are on. Since we really don't know the best way to use these medications for the very long-term (>> 5 years) more studies are needed. The SMART study of the CPCRA randomizes persons to a continue therapy or pulse therapy (based on CD4 count) strategy. That study is currently enrolling patients are numerous US sites. KH

Kidney Dialysis and HIV
ftc