meds/muscle loss

I have had AIDS dor the past 13 years and have been on the gamet of drugs. I have wasting syndrome and my DR wants to do a Body Mass Index on me. What does this test exactly tell you, and what are the benefits of having it done. Thank you.

The body mass index is a simple measure of weight divided by height. It is used as one measure of nutritional status/obesity evaluation. It is a part of an overall assessment of nutritional /metabolic status. Wasting can involve loss of fat, loss of lean body mass (muscle), or loss of body weight (a combination of the two). Establishing the extent of body weight loss and the type of loss can be useful to plan for treatment. KH

Daughter HIV Positive