Niacin & Fish Oil amounts to take

I have written before but have gotten no response.

Here is the problem.

I've been HIV+ since 1976. Traces back to blood received during surgery. I was found positive in 1984 through blood donation with Red Cross. Before that I was not sexually active, no drug user, etc.

Now, I recieved my first treatment on Dec 1995. Viralload - over 1mil copies CD4 - 17

Here is the problem, I've been through most of the antivirals. I am presently on Norvir/Fortavase/Ziagen. Prinivil, Lasix for high blood pressure. I've been on Gemfibrizol but had to come off of it due to endstage renal failure it was causing. Creatine - 2.7 and rising. Anyway, I've read about Niacin and Fish Oil on thebody.com to help get my TRI's and CHOL down to normal. I know that it is the meds because when I went off of them for 3 months, all vitals returned to normal range including blood pressure. When I went back onto my present combo, it started back up again.

Presently my TRI - 2000+, CHOL - 500+

I haven't done anything recent within the last month but I've been taking Niacin 50mg 2x , flax oil 1000mg 2x, and fish oil 1000mg 2x. Also taking Brooks Pharmacy Theraputic M Advanced Multivitamin 2x. What my question is how much of the fish oil and Niacin should I be taking to start to see the effects?

Thank you

I wish I knew the answer to your question. The ACTG is planning studies looking at both the dosing of niacin (in the long-acting form)and fish oil (both dose escalating studies trying to establish the optimal safe dose). The niacin is a prescription form (Niaspan) dosed at 500mg/day for starts and then increased up to 2000mg/day. Fish oil us used at doses up tp 4 grams/day. We should know more within the year. KH

Re: Heart, frequency, 2/16/2003
Drug interactions with Viagra