Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Keeping My Miracle
Mar 20, 2003

I'M 28, 1997 HIV AT PREGNANCY CHILD NOW IS STILL FINE.I WAS THEN TOLD 2001 AIDS THEN 2002

NO TCELLS THEN IN 2 MONTHS UNDETECTABLE. I TAKE KALETRA, VIREAD EPIVIR DAPSONE DIFFUCLAN AND ON MY LAST DOXCYLINE FOR A BOIL ON MY CHIN. I HAVE ITCHING ALOT FACE, CHEST, ARMS, NECK, BACKAND SCALP. THESE LITTLE SORES THAT ITCH I GOT THE BEST DOCTOR IN THE AREA. THIS NUTRITIONIST TOLD ME TO GET SOME LILLY OF VALLEY ALOE JUICE AND START EATING APPLES EVERYDAY TO DETOX... I HAVE RANDOM RECTAL ITCHING BUT GAIN MY WEIGHT BACK AND THEN SOME HE HAD ME ON A STEROID PACK AND MY FACE CLEAR GREAT BUT YOU ONLY TAKE THAT UNTIL THE PACK IS FINISHED. WHAT CAN I DO TO KEEP MY SKIN AS BLEMISH FREE AS POSSIBLE? I DON'T IF I NEED TO STOP EATING SUGAR (TABLE) I NEED TO KNOW THE BEST FOODS FOR MY MEDS AND A GREAT EXCERCISE PLAN FOR MY AGE. I HEARD SOMETHING STATED ABOUT CELLUTIS I USE GET MANY TIMES AS YOUTH ,TEENAGER,AND ADULT AND NONE OF THOSE TIMES DID I HAVE SEX W/ A MAN. I WAS BORN W/ A CLEFT-PALATE,AND A HEART MURMUR, AND BAD ALLERGIES AS A CHILD. AT 23 I HAD FIRST CHILD A VAGINAL SUCCESSFUL BIRTH NO HIV FOR THE BABY AND ME EITHER BUT I GOT SICK AND IT STARTED AGAIN I GOT WORSE..CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE SOME TIPS TO HELP GET RID OF ITCHING, AND SO ON. MY IS ALSO DRYER NOW SOME CHEAP QUICK WAYS OTHER THAN EXPENSIVE MEDICINE THAT MAKE YOU SLEEP. WAYS TO HELP DRINK MORE WATER. THANKYOU THANKYOU PS I SO MUCH TO SAY I WAS TRYING GIVE SHORT DETAILS SO I COULD REALLY GET THE PROBLEM GONE. I WENT TO THE DERMOTOL., NOT REALLY A BIG HELP NEED ANOTHER ONE

Response from Dr. Henry

If you have seen a dermatologist and he/she was unable to help then you probably have a challenging situation. It is hard to say without an examination whether you might have folliculitis of some sort, seborrhea, and some other problem. I sometimes have success using ketoconazole shampoo as a soap once to twice daily for the involved areas. Sometimes switching from Diflucan to Sporonox or stopping the oral antifungal could help (trial and error approach). If you aren't taking the doxycycline anymore some UV light (which includeds sunlight)sometimes can help some skin conditions. I would continue pushing the dermatologist and your HIV docs to keep trying things until something finally works (I have a hard time with that problem inmany patients but eventually something is usually helpful). KH

Previous
Exposure to efavirenz in late pregnancy
Next
3 monthly injections?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.