Exposure to efavirenz in late pregnancy

Hi. My name is Edgardo Bottaro, I am physician. I work with HIV-infected patients in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I know the high risk of deffects of the neural tube development of the newborn periconceptionally exposed to efavirenz. Do you know cases of women exposed to efavirenz after the first trimester of the pregnancy? Could you tell me something about the outcome of those newborns? Thank you very much.

I have heard anecdotally of several pregnancies with exposure to Sustiva that turned out OK. The risk of late pregnancy exposure to efavirenz would likely be low. In the US with many alternative meds available and an unfavorable medico-legal climate, every effort to made to avoid that situation. KH

Medication Off or Stop/Start Therapy?
Keeping My Miracle