Inability to stay erect

Dear Dr. Henry: In a question posed to you about erectile dysfunction (February 26, 2003),you suggested that I might have a low testosterone level. Ironically, after testing for the level of testosterone in my system, it was determined that the level was too high. I have been taking Androgel 1, 5 gram doses, one a day for the last 18 months,hoping that this would enhance my sexual libido, bolster my erectile function, and produce a "healthy' ejaculation. But this has not been the case. My penis remains flaccid regardless of the stimulation, and if I am able to get erect for a few minutes, I have a dry ejaculation. I have tried Viagra as a stimulant, but as I mentioned in a previous letter, Viagra leaves me very sick with headaches and stomach unrest that leads to diarrhea. I am currently taking a regiment of meds: kaletra, amprenivir, epivir, viread, famvir and tricor,and realize that they are a significant detriment to normal sexual function. Are these meds preventing the Androgel from working effectively? Is there such a thing as being resistant to the Androgel? What about a med called Caverject? How does it differ from Androgel?

Caverject is a reasonable option in your situation. I would recommend an evaluation by an HIV friendly urologist first. It is injected into the shaft of the penis. The good news is that there are few if any drug interactions. However, it is expensive and not all insurers pay for it (often an evaluation by an urologist is required). KH

Sulfameth.Trimeth and rectal bleeding. Can the drug be causing this?
amitriptyline and libido