Ugly veins

Dear Doct, why are my veins popping up from my legs and arms? Is there something I can do? I look ugly. It seems I'm having varicose veins. I stopped going to the gym for that reason. Every time I do a minimun effort here's my veins get swollen. Please advise me how to minimize this terrible side effect. I'm on Fortovase,Norvir and Combivir, with high blood sugar (110) and high lipids. Thank you for your answer.

There is no easy answer for losing fat from the extremities (which usually makes the veins seem more prominent). It is not clear whether your meds could be switched around to help out some. Use of some diabetic meds (metformin or rosiglitazone) could be considered. This is a frustrating area for patients and docs alike. The good news is that the topic is getting lots of attention so hopefully some new insights and options will be gained in the next year or two. KH

Longest surviving person on meds?
Combivir as PEP/Side effects