avn requires hip replacement

I hear of deaths resulting from infection and cloting due to hip replacement. The socket is almost gone so it is either that or a wheelchair. Is the risk that great. I'm 21 years pos. and in good shape both phys. and mntl. Tom Grayson

I have had several patients undergo a hip replacement and they have done fine. It is a common procedure in more elderly patients--if the patient is motivated to follow exercise and drug recommendations--which has an acceptable side effect rate. There are some experimental options--I assume you have been dealing with an experienced and research connected orthopeutic surgeon. KH

IV drug administration
Longest surviving person on meds?