Calletra and neuropathy

Hello Docs, when I was first diagnosed I was put on Combivir only as I was pregnant. This was later changed to Videx, stocrin and zerit as my viral load was not going down. With this new regimen my load went down to undetectable and my CD4 count went up to 600. Then I started experiencing severe peripheral Neuropathy and was advised by my doctor to stop my medication. After not taking medication for 4 months I have now been put on Calletra and stocrin. I've been taking them for 3 weeks and I am experiencing Peripheral neuropathy again (in my right leg). Could this be from the medication or from the Hiv itself since I went for 4 months without any medication?

Response from Dr. Boyle

Since neither Kaletra (lopinavir/ritonavir) nor Stocrin (efavirenz) are associated with peripheral neuropathy, I think that you are likely to be correct that the recurrence of your peripheral neuropathy is related to a resurgence of HIV. It is also possible that the cause of the problem is not peripheral neuropathy since you describe it as occurring in your right leg only when it is generally bilateral (in both sides) and distal (in the feet). I would ask your doctor to have another look and confirm that this is peripheral neuropathy and not something else. If it is peripheral neuropathy you might ask about treatment, since some medications can reduce the pain significantly.

lump in the groin
Failed regimens