Where do you see it

I have read that 2003 will be the busiest year ever for new drug launches, with at least five new products (T-20, FTC, Atazanavir and two reformulations) reaching the market in North America. With these new developements, and with future developments 5,10, or 20 yrs ahead, where do you see this disease going(no longer a death sentence, chronic like diabetes?) Will those who were infected in 2002 be around to benefit from the drugs of 2032? Your expert opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Boyle

I think there is every reason to be optimistic and I think that many HIV-infected patients will live normal lifespans. The key is to live a healthy lifestyle, see your doctor on a regular basis and take the meidcations that are prescribed. Even with the drugs we have now, in most patients HIV can be suppressed for many, many years so long as the medications are taken religously, and, as you point out, the pipeline is full of new therapies which should continue to roll out over the next few years.

Crixivan and Frozen Shoulder
The beginning of something new?