dental problems

I was diagnosed with AIDS in 1995. I'm on my third regimen of meds, and have had several OI's including PCP, MAC, lymphoma, thrush, and many others. My cd4 and vl is under control and I'm doing well, but lately, my once beautiful and healthy teeth are breaking. I have to have many extracted and this, more than anything is killing me. My dentist says he see's this more and more with his HIV+ patients that have been on meds for a long period of time. Do you agree that the mds could be contributing to this?

Dental problems were a early feature of HIV infection prior to any effective treatment. The first patient I saw (1984) had terrible gingivitis and had to be admitted to the hospital for that. We aren't seeing the gum/dental problems like that nearly as much. I am not aware of any new major concern about specific dental problems related to HIV meds (though I am still learning as readers of this forum can attest). Which HIV meds have you been on and which meds are you now taking? Are your gums healthy? Any vitamin deficiencies? Does your dentist think that your teeth are all weaked in some way (that would make me worry about some bone/dental/calcium problem)? KH

CHEMOPROPHYLAXIS
zerit side effects