Heart frequency

My partner started treatment with Combivir and Effavirenz on 1 Dec 2002. Due to side effects, Combivir was substituted by Lamivudine and Abacavir (regular adult doses for all drugs mentioned) 3 days ago. Some of the side effects indeed reduced with the new regimen. I am now concerned with palpitations, as his heart frequency is about 80-100 even when he is resting. His legs ache and he feels exhaustion even after mild exercise. Given the fact that he used to be really fit and that he is in his mid twenties, I wonder if this treatment is not going to put him in serious danger soon.

The heart symptoms that you relate would be ususual to be due to either 3TC or abacavir. If the symptoms get worse with each dose and are accompanied by a fever and/or GI complaints then there would be some concern about possible abacavir hypersensitivity (he should discuss with his HIV doc ASAP if that is the case). Otherwise the meds can through people off for a while and cause stress which may take a while to settle down. That regimen is viewed to be fairly heart friendly. KH

Switching times of taking Sustiva
PI Interaction with Flomax