Insomnia

I'm a bit frustrated. Make that VERY frustrated. I've known about my HIV status for 16 years and my t-cells dipped to 60. My condition has significantly improved since the advent of protease inhibitors. I'm on AZT, Crixivan and Epivir.

I've had problems sleeping for over ten years now. I was prescribed Xanax and became addicted to it. Withdrawal was difficult. I've now been on nightly Ambien for 1 1/2 years and am now addicted to 10 mg. per night. I can't sleep without it. I can't even nap. I'm afraid of stopping it, even though it's not working as effectively anymore. I started adding a benedryl which helps me sleep better. Unfortunately, I'm exhausted, weak, mentally confused and my quality of life has gone downhill.

Any suggestions to ease withdrawal from Ambien? How will I sleep if I stop the drug? My initial insomnia started when my viral load was high and I started on Epivir. I've heard that Epivir can cause insomnia. I would love to know the cause of my insomnia and how I might treat it without getting addicted to a sleep medication.

I would recommend discussing with your HIV doc and consider seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist for assistance in switching to a different sleep pattern. There are some meds (alternative= melatonin; prescription = meds like trazadone, amitryptiline and others). Since you are doing well-which is great--it is important to be able to sleep well for the many years ahead! You might want to also check your testosterone and thyroid levels. KH

Trial And Error per MD!
bone disease