More Hair Loss

I've been catching up on articles here and one that maybe redundant is that of hair loss. I was on a regimine of AZT, 3TC, Crixivan and Norvir from 1996 through 2002. During this time I have also experienced dramatic hair loss, to include the head, arms, legs, chest. I used to be fairly hairy all over but now very little exists. In December of 2002 I switched my meds to Viramune, Viread, & Ziagen. I didn't change my meds because of hair loss or because I was failing therapy(I still respond very well to that my original cocktail). My question is, if hair loss is caused by some HIV meds, is there a reasonable expectation that it may grow back once they are stopped? Also, are products like Rogaine effective if hair loss is caused by HIV meds or is it a waste of money? Thank you in advance for your time in this.

Larry Z

I haven't seen much good data regarding hair status with switching medications around. My anecdotal experience is that hair does seem to recover some when possibly offending drugs are stopped/switched (such as indinavir or lamivudine). Let us know what happens in your case over the next year. KH

Student
Toenail Fungus