Fortovase & Nausea

Hi, I recently switched therapy from Sustiva/Videx/Zerit to Combivir/Fortovase. My results were excellent with the first mix, but peripheral neuropathy kicked in at about the 4th month and lead me to switch. Anyway....it's been about a week on the new combination and the nausea is horrible. Do you have any advice about how long this might last ? Thanks for any thoughts...and thanks for this website. It's been extremely comforting to me..

The nausea could be due to either the AZT or Fortavase. AZT nausea usually diminished over the first month but perhaps 5-10% of persons will have persistent annoying upper GI complaints. Marinol and/or Reglan often helps that out for the short term. Many docs prefer use of Invirase (the other form of saquinavir) with low dose ritonavir when using saquinavir (may have less GI problems). I tell patients that their gut may often be very unhappy for weeks--if persistent then a switch wouild be considered after a month of putting up with that! KH

Keeping immune system healthy while off meds
A Drug Side Effect Question