HIV Prophalaxis and Neuropathy

In 1997, after possible contact with the HIV virus, I was treated for 1 month with AZT and 3TC in high doses to prevent infection. After six months, HIV tests showed that I had not contracted the virus. Since then, I have developed neuropathic symptoms of numbness, tremor, and labile blood pressure. My neuros and primaries have been unable to give a diagnosis, alothough have said that I do have some sort of neuropathy. My brain scans and spinal taps have shown negative and normal. Is it possible that the one month treatment could have caused me nerve damage? And, if so, is there any chance that my body will be able to repair itself? Have you heard of similar cases?

In my experience in treating > 1000 patients I have only seen once cases where peripheral neuropathy may have developed acutely (within the first month). That case did not improve much off the probably offending medications. Drug related peripheral neuropathy has several characteristic findings including usual initial involvement in the feet/toes with tingling numbness and then perhaps pain. Once that climbs to around the ankles the fingers/hands may become involved. The mechanism is not known for sure but may involve mitochondrial damage. Some persons claim benefit from B vitamins, co enzyme 1, N-acetyl cysteine and/or L-carnitine (see www.daair.org or Jon Kaiser's book Healing HIV) though solid proof is lacking. KH

P. Neuropathy
RE:HIV-1 Group N