126 mg/dl. A glucose tolerance test might be indicated to sort that out for now. Clearly...">

Another side effect?

Dear Dr, today I got my lab results: total cholesterol is 204 (I'm on Pravachol 10mg once a day), Lipids 250, LDL 105 HDL 49 and blood sugar 118. I'm on HIV therapy (Fortovase 1000mg twice a day and Norvir 100mg twice a day + Combivir) Am I going to develop diabetes? Are P.I. responsible for that? I don't have a family history of diabetes. It's already difficult to handle the side effect of lipodistrophy...please Doct, what would you suggest??? Thank you Maurizio

If that is a fasting level of glucose then your level falls below the threshold for "diabetes" which is > 126 mg/dl. A glucose tolerance test might be indicated to sort that out for now. Clearly there is concern that antiretroviral therapy may lead to some degree of insulin resistance though development of frank diabetes has so far been unusual. Focusing on improved diet and exercise regimes preemptively can have positive health benefits and may be worthwhile to consider as well. KH

URGH, Sleep, more sleep
Risk vs Benefit