Jan 19, 2003
Dear Doctor, Im 6 ft. 160lbs. February of 98 in hospital with PCP pneumonia where I learned of my HIV. I Started on Combivir , Crixivan , Dapsone and some antibiotic . Ive been taking Combivir and Crivivan ever since. January 03 started Sustiva with Combivir , stopped the Crixivan. My VL is 400 and my CD4 is 208. The Sustiva is sedating . Can I use a pill cutter, cut the Sustiva in half, take it 12 hours apart @ 300mg a shot as I do with the combivir to lessen its side effects. Thank You.
| Response from Dr. Henry
I don't recommend splitting the Sustiva dosing like that (you could have the Sustiva levels checked to see if they are too high)due to concerns about maintaining adequate levels of Sustiva throughout the day. You could switch to Nevirapine and or abacavir or tenofovir as another option (works best if your viral load is undetectable at the time of the switch and you haven't previously failed any therapy). KH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Burning Penis After Rubbing Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Red Spots After Touching Period Blood Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Pain In Urethra After Oral Sex Form Sex Worker What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Sore On Mouth After Licking Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Glands After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Giving Oral Sex What Are The Chances Of HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.