Failure to ejaculate on antiretroviral Mx.

Hi Dr. Boyle, I am a medical practitioner who is working with some HIV positive people. I have one man who has been on a few combinations, most of which failed due to compliancy problems. He also had a bad reaction to Abacavir. He is now on DDI, Tenofovir and Combivir and is tolerating the regime well and doing well....that is until he noticed failure to ejaculate when having (safe)sex. He had had safe sex prior to this regime with no problems so it is not a condom effect. Any comments? I would hate for him to give up on this regime which works well for him.

Response from Dr. Boyle

While impotence and failure to ejaculate have bee reported with virtually all of the antiretrovirals, the heaviest evidence is in the protease inhibitor class. Since he is not on a protease inhibitor, I am not sure that it is antiretroviral related. How about his other medications? Have there been any other recent changes or additions? A number of medications (especially antihypertensives or antidepressants) and other medical conditions (e.g., diabetes) may impair ejaculation or lead to retrograde ejaculation. If nothing is apparent, I would consider a referral to a urologist before I would consider changing antiretroviral therapy, especially since other regimens may even be worse.

FATIGUE AND MUSCLE PAIN
information