Dry Skin and AIDS

I am a 37yr old woman, and I have AIDS. Lately, the past 3 months, I have had extremely dry and flaking skin on my face. Not only is it unattractive, it actually burns when I wash my face. Is this due to AIDS or am I just all of a sudden stricken with dyr skin, I had oily skin until now. Thank You, Susan

Response from Dr. Bartlett

Susan, dry skin is very common among persons with AIDS. Are you taking any medications? Some meds can do this, and then dry skin also seems to accompany HIV itself. The winter is a particularly difficult time because the humidity goes down, and many forms of heat are very dry. Keeping your skin covered with moisterizers and maintaining humidity are simple answers, and if your symptoms still persist see a dermatologist.

PLEASE ANSWER!!! (PAXIL/Xanix)
THE ICING ON THE CAKE