Liver detoxification's effect on the HIV medication in my system.

I'm HIV pos and recently had an increase in liver enzymes. Is it ok to use an herbal liver detoxifier with ingredients like milk thistle or would that also remove some of the HIV medication from my system.

Milk thistle has been an ingredient in a number of herbal liver products. The actual benefit and safety of milk thistle in the setting of treated HIV is not documented. There is legitimate concern about drug interactions with drugs that utilize the liver enzyme sytem called cyp 3A4 which could include some of the protease inhibitors and non-nucleoside agents. There clearly needs to be some studies conducted on the use of milk thistle in situations such as yours. I would urge caution in using milk thistle in the absence of good data (though it is tempting and sounds attractive). You should discuss with your hiv DOC to at least review which meds you are on that could be a problem. KH

RE: PN pain & numbness
RE: Milk thistle's effect on HIV meds