Another Pancreatitis Question.

Dr. Henry,

Thank you for all of your quick answers. I have been positive since '86. My doctor recently changed me from Amprenavir, Videx and Ziagen to Ziagen, Viread and Virammune due to skyrocketing Trikes. and Cholesterol and neuropathy. Seeminly no side effects and my t-cells are now 675(their highest since '87), but my viral load has gone up to 110 and stays there with it being undectable before and although my lipanase is normal my amylase has hit 122 out of a normal 0-99 range. Having relatives who have had diabetes I am concerned about this. My doctor told me that there is a new med. that I might take to counter this? Also, maybe lay off of the fat-burnign chromium supplements. Any ideas??? Thank you.

The amylase level is non=specific for pancreatitis. Increases can come from the parotid glands and other sources. The lipase level is more specific (or the amylase can be fractionated). In the absence of any symptoms and OK triglycerides a mild elevation of amylase alone is usually not very worrisome. If there is documentation of pancreatitis (elevated lipase, symptoms, abnormal ultrasound) which is chronic I often use pancreatitic enzyme replacement therapy to minimize symptoms and flare-ups if stopping any offending drugs doesn't help (alcohol too). KH

Re-start treatment
LIVER FAILURE AND MEDS