Tongkat Ali

Currently I am on the following HAART. Viread 300 mg., Epivir 150 mg., Viramune 200 mg. and Acyclovir 400 mg. To this mix I want to add the herbal root Tongkat Ali (radix Eurycoma Longifolia Jack) that I purchased through a company in Malaysia. Tongkat Ali is known for stimulating testosterone production in the body thus improving sexual desires and also has anti-HIV qualities. Do you have any information on the safety of this herb when mixed with our Westerm anti-HIV meds? Thank you, Robert Allen

Response from Dr. Boyle

No, I don't have any information about that herbs interaction with HIV meds, and I doubt that any exists. That is the problem with using herbs or alternative medications, the interactions are a potential Pandora's box of problems. If your having problems with your testosterone, there are other ways to replace it and your doctor should be able to give you information about that. Also, I'm confused by your regimen: Are you sure you're not on a total of 400mg of Viramune (nevirapine) and 300mg of Epivir (lamivudine) a day? If you're not, you should contact your doctor immediately and discuss it with him/her.

Smallpox Vaccine and HIV
grape seed extract