Treatment naive, is this an indicator i need to start?

I've been infected for about 2 1/2 years, have no symptoms (apart from a few slightly swollen nodes) and am otherwise healthy.

I have recently developed a fairly severe sore throat, and on closer inspection (by shining a torch to the back of my mouth) I could see some white patches right at the back of my mouth in the area where it's sore. I've had this for about two/three days now and am wondering if it could be oral thrush (no other white parches/spots present in the rest of my mouth) or somehting like strep throat?

If so does this mean that it's time that I should look into starting meds, because if I can't fight off oral thrush how would my body cope with something more serious?

Thanks.

White patches in the back of the throat only in the setting of a sore throat might well be simply a viral or bacerial pharyngitis/tonsillar infection which may not relate to your HIV status. If your CD4 (T-helper cell count) is OK (> 350 cells/mm3) then HIV treatment likely would not be necessary. An oral examination by an HIV experienced clinician would be helpful to determine whether your oral findings merit concern and to establish whether you have a oral candida infection (thrush) or not. KH

What are the drugs for HIV-2 patients?
New meds