kaletra,viread,and combivir

what can i expect as for side effects in kaletra,viread,and combivar??and whats the best way to deal with the nausea associated with these drugs???also how effective are these 3 drugs i have been on them now for a week after being just diagnosed and to be frank ,i,m scared to death of the possible side effects as i recently had sore toes for one day!!

The GI complaints many experience early on a regimen such as yours often will diminish over the first month . For nausea, taking the meds with food often helps. Reglan or Marinol (I prefer the latter) can often help manage the nausea initially and maintain a good appetite. Loose stool due to the Kaletra can often be managed by calcium supplements, fiber tablets, and/or Lomodium or Lomotil. Over the long term there is concern about elevated lipids. Often I will switch a patient off a PI (such as Kaletra) after the viral level has reached undetectable status for several months. Any really bothersome side effect that persists is a mark against the regimen and should result in consideration for a change. I like to think of treatment as occuring in steps or increments of time. The first 6 months is to control the virus completely while avoiding resistance and maintaining a decent quality of life. At that point the regimen can be reconsidered to see if a simpler and or even better tolerated regimen is an option. KH

cysts on liver
neurological changes