Extreme Thirst

I have been under therapy (Crixivan, Zerit, Epivir and Norvir) for the past four years and I always made sure to have at least 60 ounces of water a day. There were days that I was succesful drinking it all and there were days that I was not that thirsty. However in the last few weeks I have developed an extreme thirst. I am drinking more than 120 ounces a day. How does this affect my internal system and what can I do to bring it down. Is it healthy to drink that much water. Good thing is that I am not retaining the water and it is coming our every 15 minutes. Thank you in advance for your answer.

Response from Dr. Boyle

In general drinking a lot of water is not harmful. I am concerned, however, about your description of a new onset of thirst, increased water intake and urination. In some cases, protease inhibitor therapy can be associated with the development of diabetes and these are some of the symptoms associated with that condition. These symptoms are not specific for diabetes, but you should call your doctor and discuss this with him/her as soon as possible. If you start having episodes of loss of appetite, nausea or vomiting, shortness of breath or rapid breathing, confusion or other symptoms, you should go to an emergency room if you cannot immediately contact your doctor.

life expectancy
Please clarify Dr. Henry