life expectancy

ok, i tested positive in 6/01 as well as my boyfried. (he tested positive a week before i did) he's doing good with his #'s as was i. i went on a strict diet lost 50 lbs(i weighed 185 and 5'6)i joined a gym and even quit smoking. i did all this in 6 months. soon after i got tested and my #'s went south quit. i tried to get in shape and my #'s went to hell. my dr. is talking about meds now. he is still doing well while i'm have to start thiking about meds. i dont understand i got in shape and got worse and he doesnt do anything but lay around watch football and gain weight. what's up?

Response from Dr. Boyle

The progression of HIV is very unpredicatable and can vary significantly from patient to patient. I doubt that your working out and getting in shape had much to do with your number going awry, but if you over did it, it might have. Gnerally, taking good care of yourself with some exercise and a good diet and quitting doing "bad" behaviors (like smoking) helps you to be healthier. Fotunately, medications can help your numbers improve, and the medication regimens required to do this have gotten simpler (as few as 3-4 pills once daily), better tolerated and less toxic.

Management of Kaletra-induced abdominal pain
Extreme Thirst