What is the least toxic, most durable regimen?

Hi Docs,

You guys are doing a great job thanks. Anyway, what is the least toxic, most durable regimen? I read that AZT is not good on the bone marrow.

Are we ever going to see better treatments with much LESS toxicity?

Also, is a cure on the horizon, in your honest opinion? Or maybe the real goal now would be 100 suppresive treatment, no resistance and no toxicity, and therefore NO AIDS. I read an article about RNA interference, and it surely sounds promising, as the authors said "this could have implications far greater than HIV/AIDS". Thanks-

There is such variability between people that what works well for one person may be a poor choice for the next. That is what makes life interesting but makes broad sweeping generalizations a dicey undertaking. I utilize a wide variety of initial regimens depending on a wide range of factors (disease state, co-morbidities, resistance status, patient preferences, etc.). Many of the simplest current regimens (i.e. Trizivir BID, 3TC/tenofovir/Sustiva q day, Combibir/Sustiva) are well tolerated by most but not all patients. I often tell patients that their is a regimen out there (out of a choice of hundreds) with their name on it (= will work and yet leave them with a smile on their face) and my job with luck and their help is to identify that (sometimes a trial and error process). Cure is unlikely over the next 10 years. Co-existence (tolerated low levels of virus) or long-term suppression (decades) are achievable goals. RNA interference has yet to reach clinical application so we will have to wait on that one. KH

the new drugs and side effects
acne on chest