side effect from combivir+viread

Dear Dr, i started my first therapy with Combivir+Viramune and it worked at the beginning but after ten days i got high fever and nausea and quit strong rash all over my body.my doctor told me to stop everything and after 2 days we checked that my lever was ok so i started again the therapy with Viread instead of Viramune.In these 2 days and after still 3 days i was getting better and my rash went also away.But now i have it again all over!can it be that i have allergy of AZT or 3TC?i dont have fever but very strong rash.Please could you write me your opinion?thank you very much Susanne

Response from Dr. Boyle

If the rash recurred with restarting the Combivir it is certainly possible that you have an allergy to some component of that medication or it may be that you have the unlikely combination of a Viramune and Viread allergy. Other medications started at the same time, dietary changes, exposures, and other factors should also be considered, but it is extremely likely that it is one of your antiretrovirals that is causing the problem. You should discuss this with your doctor immediately since if the rash is a bad as you describe your medications should be discontinued.

smallpox vaccine
Opinion on cause of neuropathy