former patient need your advice

Hello DR.Henry

I was a patient of yours in St.Paul 98-2000? I moved back to NYC in 2000.I need your advice,i am experiencing nueropathy in my feet and numbness in my hands. my feet hurt alot.they feel really stiff too.i was on videx viread and epivir.mylabs were 454 and my VL was in the low one hundreds my doctor lowered my dose of videx because he says viread raises the level of it in the blood which would cause my neurophathy.thats when my counts started going crazy.i have since taken geno & pheno type test which revealed i am now resistant to epivir.we are soon gonna discuss new regimens,he mentioned viramune sustiva combivir also he said he might wanna keep me on epivir anyway.(viramune,sustiva,viread)or (combivir,zerit,sustiva?).i was hoping you could give me a suggestion on what might be a good regimen to restart meds on.my VL is over 22,000 and my t-cells are in less than 200.i hope there is someway you can help thank you J.H

To clear the neuropathy you probably will have to avoid the D drugs (ddI/D4T). I would be concerned that a regimen with only NNRTI + NRTIs in the setting of resistance may not be enough. I would suggest achieving suppression with a boosted PI regimen (Kaletra etc)with perhaps abacavir/tenofovir +/- an NNRTI (Rescriptor also an option-it boosts the levels of the PIs). Once suppressed then can perhaps switch off the PI (atazanivir will be available as an easy PI in the near future). ALot depends on the specific resistance pattern and your past treatment history as well. Good luck! KH

Re:CD4 Percentage and CD4/CD8 ratio
Possible answer for Lipoma side effect question.