High Liver Enzymes

I am a 23 year old black male. I have known that I was HIV positive for about two years. I started antiviral treatment in December 2001. I was almost died at that point. I had cd-4 of 46 and viral load of 700,000. I started Kaletra and combiviar. I could not take the AZT so my meds was changed to 3TC, d4T, and Kaletra. I feel great but my liver enzymes continue to rise slowly. I was also on medication for MAC but it was discontinued because my cd-4 is 271 for more than 8 months and viral load is 400. I recently tested low negitive for histeo(not sure of this name) I was a 1. What can I do to continue to improve my health and bring down the liver enzymes. I had a biosy on a limp node about 6 months ago and it was negitive. I also recently had an ultrasound on my liver. The enlarged lymph nodes was still there but did not see anything else. Help me please. Also I have read that lipoic acid reduces liver enqymes will this help if I take it. The high liver enzymes is my last big problem.

Response from Dr. Boyle

There are many causes for liver enzyme elevations and it is tough to tell you without seeing more of your tests and perhaps getting some more tests done. Kaletra and other medications can cause liver enzyme elevations in some patients, so that is a starting point. Also, alcohol use, coinfection with hepatitis or other infections, and a number of other diseases can also cause problems. If your liver enzymes are signficantly elevated and no other cause can be found, your doctor may need to consider stopping your medications and seeing whether there is improvement off therapy. If there is no improvement, you may need a liver biopsy to find the cause. You should also consider consulting a gastroenterologist for further evaluation.

chances...
Re:CD4 Percentage and CD4/CD8 ratio