vomiting, meds or not?
Oct 6, 2002
I have had HIV for 1 1/2 years now and have been on meds for 1 year. I am currently taking Trizavir. I do take an anti depressent and thats it. When I first started meds I was taking Combivir and a protease inhibitor (nelfinavir) I think. Any way, now after almost a year of trizavir my #'s are doing good Viral load undetectable, cd 4 680. My complication is that almost every day now I am wrenching (heaving) Nothing coming up just very violent wrenching. My doctor thinks it may be mucos in my stomach from chronic sinusitus, but I am not sure if she is write. Any way we have tried everything, sudafed, claritin, zantac, prilosec, etc. I am still vomiting. My last visit I told her even when I hold the trizavir in my hand I get sick to my stomach. I am wondering if it could be physcological, but now I am geting a bit of a tummy ach every time I eat. Ok, the questions..
1. my doc says I could take a vacation from the meds to see if that is what is bother my tummy. What do you think. and what about resistence after you stop a med.
2. do you think my stomach could be a hernia, or ulcir or something other than the meds..
Thank you.. Illinios
Response from Dr. Henry
Have you had a GI evaluation (endoscopy, test for H pylori infections, etc). That would be the first step. Next might be either a drug holiday (should be OK with the meds you are on) or switching your meds around (i.e change the AZT to D4T on a trial basis or tenofovir for abacavir--try to substitute one drug at time so one can properly evaluate the response). Perhaps 5-10% of patients will have persistent upper GI complaints on Trizivir. KH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Are Symptoms Of The Second Stage Of Hiv?
- Is Two Weeks After Having Sex Too Early To Get Tested For Hiv?
- A Positive Hiv Antibody Test Result Means
- If You Have Hiv But You Are Undetectable Can You Still Give Someone Hiv While Having Sex?
- When To Check If You Have Gonorrhea In Your Throat?
- What Does It Mean To Have Herpes Antibodies?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.