HIV Meds and Heart Problems

I have read a few reports indicating that HIV drugs can cause mild to severe heart problems. Are there specific drugs that have this side effect? I have a family history of heart problems on both sides of my family. My father was one of 12 children, he and all but three died from sometype of heart trouble. I'm 40 years old, and have been on HIV therapy for 4 years. Would a base line stress test be in order for me? I also have high blood pressure, but cholestrol levels have been good thus far with the help of diet. Thank you.

You should have a visit with your doc to establish your cardiovascular risk (done by adding up your risk factors and using an equation available through the NIH and other sources). If your LDL/HDL/triglycerides are OK, don't have hypertension or diabetes, and you exercise and don't smoke then your risk is probably low. Some people are genetically predisposed to early atherosclerosis but that usually is somewhat predicted by elevated lipid levels. If your risk is low then a stress test usually is not indicated. The increased risk from HIV drugs usually is modest when compared to the standard risk factors mentioned above. KH

Dreams of the past on Sustiva
?